Monday, October 18, 2010

Better Late Than Never...


...especially with delicious Tom Kha Soup.
So, my friend Shawn Von and I had a Tom Kha Cook off this weekend. MMMMmmm... it was absurdly good. Shawn Von started the adventure with his Tofu Tom Kha, which was delicious. Crispy tofu, smooth coconut, spicy gingery broth... it survived about 15 minutes. This is what he did...
Ingredients:
-2 cans coconut milk (not juice)
-tofu (cut into small chunks)
-2-3 inches galangal thai ginger
-lime juice, about 1/2 cup
-carrots
-lemongrass (about 3 stalks) -you can find this at Indochina by Kmart fresh or in our bulk department dried.
-hot peppers to taste (jalapeno, habanero, we used a few Bolivian Rainbows I'm growing)
-fresh cilantro
-fish sauce
-red thai curry or hot madras curry
-veggie broth
-coconut oil

1. Heat up a few spoons of coconut oil. add generous portion Curry powder to hot oil and simmer about 30 seconds.
2. Fry the tofu in curry coconut oil until crispy and golden
3.  add 1 can coconut milk, galangal, lemongrass, peppers, and carrots
4.  simmer 10 minutes, then add second can coconut milk, fish sauce (not too much, its strong), lime juice and veggie broth.
5. let simmer for about 15 minutes or until everything is nice and soft. Garnish with cilantro
*I generally don't measure, just go by what feels right. You want it nice and rich and not watered down tasting. if you do add too much broth, just simmer it for longer without the lid on.

After gorging ourselves on his meatless wonder I new what needed to happen. Chicken.
So, I followed this basic recipe, but instead of tofu, I got a Dey Dey's Half Chicken from the co-ops frozen section, cleaned it up cutting all the nice meaty bits into small pieces, then fried them in the curry coconut oil for a couple minutes (not nearly as long as the tofu).
I believe my friend Kelli said, "That might be the best Home-made soup I've ever had."
Good luck,

No comments:

Post a Comment